St. John’s church is considered to be one of the most historic 19th Century churches in Co. Limerick. Formerly the centre of worship for the Church of Ireland community in Knockainey, the church was deconsecrated in 1999 due to its declining congregation. The current church was built in 1861 and is situated on a very old Christian site dating back to the 12th Century. The bell tower dates back to around 1700 and was part of an earlier church built c. 1400. Inside the church are a number of beautiful stained glass windows and memorial plaques. Family names appearing on the plaques include O’Grady, Guillamore, Harris, Boucher, and Gubbins.